Flask Logo Organic Chemistry at CU Boulder


Two different kinds of tubing are used in the organic chemistry teaching labs: Tygon tubing and vacuum tubing.

Tygon tubing is the clear type of flexible tubing. It is used to run water to and from condensers. In the picture below, it is the tubing on top. The tubing in the labs has been used and often is a lot darker in color than the tubing in the picture. Never use Tygon tubing to connect to a vacuum source since it will collapse under reduced pressure.

Vacuum tubing is the thick-walled black tubing. This type is specifically designed to retain its shape under reduced pressure. Use it to connect the vacuum source to your side-arm flask or to a vacuum distillation set-up.


Back to Glassware and Equipment